Application Info: It is anticipated that Cosmic Physics Center Fellowships will be solicited annually. Applications are now open. The current round of applications closes on Friday July 28, 2023.
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fermilab offers the Cosmic Physics Center Fellowships to outstanding researchers in the areas of cosmology, particle astrophysics, and other topics in the Cosmic Frontier. We seek researchers with a doctorate in physics, astrophysics, or related fields who will work with Fermilab scientists and leverage Fermilab resources to make a major contribution to the Cosmic Frontier Program at the laboratory. Fellows will pursue novel concepts that enhance the current program at Fermilab and participate in current and future Fermilab experimental and theory efforts. Fellows are expected to spend significant time at Fermilab (2 weeks to 6 months), with the goal of expanding and sustaining an intellectual center of excellence within the laboratory. Fellows may receive support for travel and accommodations at Fermilab.
There are three tracks for the fellowship:
- Track 1: Support for experimental or theoretical researchers wishing to pursue novel concepts with Fermilab scientific staff to enhance or strengthen the current program at Fermilab.
- Track 2: Support for researchers transitioning to the Cosmic Frontier from other fields, e.g., from the Energy Frontier, Intensity Frontier, Nuclear Physics, etc.
- Track 3: Support for researchers seeking hands-on experience with instrumentation or who play a critical role in R&D, projects, or operations.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Astrophysics, or other closely related field.
- Successful candidates are expected to be resident at Fermilab for 50 percent or more of the duration of the fellowship.
- At the end of the award period all candidates must be employed by a U.S. or non-U.S. institution. Retirees and Fermilab employees are not eligible.
A completed application should include:
- Curriculum Vitae including a list of your most impactful publications.
- Proposed term. The proposed term should be between 2 weeks and 6 months, starting no earlier than 1 month after the submission deadline and ending no more that 1 year after the submission deadline.
- A research proposal of no more than 3 pages. The research proposal should clearly identify the Fellowship Track (1, 2 or 3), and the name of a Fermilab host with whom the applicant expects to collaborate with at Fermilab.
- A brief financial plan and a travel plan.
- Names of two references who can be contacted by the committee.
- Submission. Application material should be sent to email@example.com
Further details on the program
- Limited funding for travel and/or local accommodation is expected to be available to those selected as CPC Fellows. Those interested in such support should be in contact with their proposed host to discuss details in advance of applying.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee that currently consists of:
- Alex Drlica-Wagner
- Juan Estrada
- Brenna Flaugher
- Josh Frieman